Friday, September 10, 2010

Land of Opportunity

The book that I am reading is set in the mid/late 1890's and a large part is set on Ellis Island with 2 of the main characters being doctors for the Marine Hospital Service.  And this has me thinking about why people immigrated to America.  Many came to escape religious persecution while others came for the opportunity to make a better life for their family. 

One of the first things these immigrants saw was Lady Liberty which gave them hope for the future but now that immigrants are not coming in droves like they did back then Ellis Island is closed and modern day immigrants are not greeted by Lady Liberty. 

Is America still considered the land of opportunity and religious freedom?  We still have the constitutional right to choose our religion of course but do outsiders still think of us as the great land of plenty? Is America still the place foreigners think of when they think of making a better life for their family? 

I have always loved my country but being a military wife had really taught me just how much goes into making this country great.  It has also shown me how much some Americans have forgotten what a great country we live in,  they have forgotten the way people swarmed to this great land looking for hope and a better future.   I think that most American need to go back and study American history and remember the great struggles and amazing men and women that shaped this country into what it is today.

I am American and I am proud of my country.

No comments: